Hours: Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.,
Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Located: 2020 East 5th Ave; Hibbing, MN 55746
Board of Trustees
Hibbing Public Library is governed by a seven member Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees represents the library both to the people of Hibbing and to city officials. The Board of Trustees uses its best efforts to see that adequate funds are obtained for good library service; to promote the best possible use of all library resources in the area, to improve the library, and extend library service to those not previously served. As of March 31, 2015, all library board positions are vacant. Apply to be a board member here.
Members are appointed by the Mayor of Hibbing, and serve a term of three years. A person may serve three consecutive terms.
Library Board Minutes will be made available on this web site as they are approved.
- Library Director-Vacant
- Library Specialist (Adult Services)-Vacant
- Library Lead Worker-Tyler
- Library Specialist (Children's Services)-April
- Library Specialist (Cataloging and Reference)-Emily
- Library Technician-Laura
- Library Technician-Carla
- Library Technician-Martine
The library also employs four or five high school or college students as Library Aides on a part-time basis. Each summer the library hires one or two college students to work full time as a Summer Interns.
Interested in working at the library? Click here for information on current city job openings. To read library job descriptions, including Library Aide job descriptions, click here.
Volunteers help the library with programs, keeping things organized and more! Call to find out how you can help. Apply using the Volunteer Policy and Application!
- Volunteer Policy and Application
- Borrowers' Cards
- Loan Periods and Fines
- Bulletin Board Postings
- Exhibits and Displays
- Gifts and Bequests
- Group Visits
- Internet Use
- Library Decorations
- Materials Selection Policy
- Paging Public for Telephone Calls
- Photography and Filming Policy
- Rules of Conduct
- Unattended Children in the Library
Strategic Plan 2011-2016
The Hibbing Public Library helps everyone succeed by providing technology to access the online world, introducing children to a lifetime of reading and learning, and bringing enjoyment into people's lives.
- Everyone will have free use of the latest technology to access global information and communication.
- Children, their families, and caregivers will have positive experiences that create successful young readers who value lifelong learning.
- People's lives will be energized and enriched through reading, viewing, listening, and sharing.
- We value a welcoming environment for all.
- We value lifelong growth and development.
- We value collaboration with other community organizations.
- We value access to a wide range of resources.
- We value creativity and flexibility in delivering what the community needs within the available budget.
Library Solar Panels
In 2012 96 solar panels from Silicon Energy were purchased and installed on the library roof with a $250,000 Renewable Energy Grant from the IRRRB. Minnesota receives about 4.5 sunlight hours per day. Solar PV reduces our carbon footprint, and in the future, the solar photovoltaics (PV) will reduce the library's electric energy bill. Click here to see how much power is being generated.
Friends of the Hibbing Public Library
The Friends of the Hibbing Public Library is a non-profit group that maintains an association of persons interested in the Hibbing Public Library. In addition, the group exists to promote and stimulate the use of the library's resources and services; to make the public aware of the Friends of the Hibbing Public Library and the services they perform; to encourage and receive gifts and bequests to the library; and to support and cooperate with the library in developing services and facilities in the community. The purposes of the organization shall be limited to charitable and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Click here for more information.