Hours: Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.,
Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Located: 2020 East 5th Ave; Hibbing, MN 55746
Every individual has the right to use the Hibbing Public Library undisturbed. Every library employee has the right to work without undue interference. All library users and employees should be free of any threat of harm, invasion of property, or gross indignity.
To ensure these rights for all persons, the following rules of conduct apply to behavior on the premises of library property.
No person shall engage in any conduct which disturbs or interferes with patrons or employees of the Library, including but not restricted to the following:
- Eating, drinking, smoking, or sleeping in the library
- Staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, following another person about the building with the intent to annoy that person, playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, singing or talking in a manner which disturbs other persons, or behaving in a manner which reasonably can be expected to disturb other persons
- Defacing or destroying library property
- Viewing of material that under federal or state law is reasonably believed to be obscene or child pornography.
- Soliciting funds or panhandling
- Skateboarding or roller blading
- Interfering with free passage
- Behaving in a disorderly, loud, or boisterous manner
- Drinking alcoholic beverages or using illicit drugs on library grounds
- Being a state of intoxication in a manner that causes public disturbance
- Remaining in the building after its regular closing hours
- Bringing animals into the library except as required by people with disabilities
- Bringing vehicles into the library except as required by people with disabilities
Library patrons entering the library must wear shirts and shoes.
Patrons attending library programs must turn their cell phones off. Patrons making or receiving phone calls must do so in the front lobby or outside the library.
Anyone violating these rules is first warned by the library staff member on duty at the front service desk at the time of the offense, or by the Library Director. If the conduct continues, the offender is ordered to leave the building. Staff will contact the Hibbing Police Department if it is deemed advisable. The staff may expel the offender(s) without a warning at the discretion of staff in situations of serious, threatening, or willfully malicious behavior.
Behavior that violates city, state, or federal law will be reported to the police immediately.
Failure to observe these rules may lead to revocation of library privileges, including the right to enter the building. Repeat offenders or persons ordered from the premises who do not comply may be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespassing.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees, January 11, 1995.
Revised and approved Library Board of Trustees November 8, 2000, October 9, 2002, April 9, 2003.